[SciPy-dev] SciPy versus Matlab, Excel, and other tools

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Thu Oct 25 09:06:43 EDT 2001

    Jochen> Excel? What kind of "scientist" did you ask? I don't know
    Jochen> any serious scientist who uses Excel for more than
    Jochen> calculating a mean or getting a histogram. (Btw, these
    Jochen> people also publish standard deviations for 2-value
    Jochen> means... Well, it's not wrong, I guess)

I sadly know many excellent scientists who primarily do analyses in
excel.  They do take a bit of time to get the analyses out, and the
analyses tend to be correct, if simplistic (many corrected t-tests
rather than a reasonably single linear (regression/anova) model).

Don't judge the tool-user by the tools, however, the mark of a good
one is the ability to convert when presented with evidence :-).

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini at u.washington.edu
FHCRC/SCHARP/HIV Vaccine Trials Net	rossini at scharp.org
-------- (fridays are probably at Rosen) --------
FHCRC: M-W: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email
UW:   T-Th: 206-543-1044 (fax=3286)|Change last 4 digits of phone to FAX
Rosen: (Mullins' Lab) Fridays, and I'm unreachable except by email.