[scikit-learn] Classifiers for dataset with categorical features

Jacob Schreiber jmschreiber91 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 14:27:50 EDT 2017

Traditionally tree based methods are very good when it comes to categorical
variables and can handle them appropriately. There is a current WIP PR to
add this support to sklearn. I'm not exactly sure what you mean that
"perform better" though. Estimators that ignore the categorical aspect of
these variables and treat them as discrete will likely perform worse than
those that treat them appropriately.