[scikit-learn] Contribution

Jacob Schreiber jmschreiber91 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 12:01:39 EDT 2017

Howdy

This question and the one right after in the FAQ are probably relevant re:
inclusion of new algorithms:
http://scikit-learn.org/stable/faq.html#what-are-the-inclusion-criteria-for-new-algorithms.
The gist is that we only include well established algorithms, and there are
no end to those. I think it is unlikely that a PR will get merged with a
cutting edge new algorithm, as the scope of scikit-learn isn't necessary
"the latest" as opposed to "the classics." You may also consider writing a
scikit-contrib package that basically creates what you're interested in in
scikit-learn format, but external to the project. We'd be more than happy
to link to it. If the algorithm becomes a smashing success over time, we'd
reconsider adding it to the main code base.

As to your first question, you should check out how the current optimizers
are written for the algorithm you're interested in. I don't think there's a
plug and play way to drop in your own optimizer like many deep learning
packages support, unfortunately. You'd probably have to modify the code
directly to support your own.

Jacob