[scikit-learn] GSoC 2017

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Mon Feb 27 05:58:35 EST 2017

Hi,

Students have been inquiring about the GSoC (Google Summer of Code) with
scikit-learn, and the core team has been quite silent about team.

I am happy to announce that we will be taking part in the scikit-learn
again. The reason that we decided to do this is to give a chance to the
young, talented, and motivated students.

Importantly, our most limiting resource is the time of our experienced
developers. This is clearly visible from the number of pending pull
requests. Hence, we need students to be very able and independent. This
of course means that they will be getting supervision from mentors. Such
supervision is crucial for moving forward with a good project, that
delivers mergeable code. However, we will need the students to be very
good at interacting efficiently with the mentors. Also, I should stress
that we will be able to take only a very few numbers of students.

With that said, let me introduce the 2017 GSoC for scikit-learn. We have
set up a wiki page which summarizes the experiences from last year and
the ideas for this year:
https://github.com/scikit-learn/scikit-learn/wiki/Google-summer-of-code-(GSOC)-2017

Interested students should declare their interest on the mailing list,
and discuss with possible mentors here. Factors of success will be

* careful work on a good proposal, that takes on of the ideas on the wiki
  but breaks it down in a realistic plan with multiple steps and shows a
  good understanding of the problem.

* demonstration of the required skillset via successful pull requests in
  scikit-learn.

Cheers,

Gaël

--