[scikit-learn] Gradient Boosting: Feature Importances do not sum to 1

Piotr Bialecki piotr.bialecki at hotmail.de
Fri Sep 9 08:11:34 EDT 2016

Hi Doug,

I modified your code a little bit to calculate the feature_importances of every tree of the forest.
In my opinion these feature importances should also sum to 1.0.

Since I could not access each DecisionTreeRegressor of your GradientBoositngRegressor, I created a new
ExtraTreeRegressor.

This is a bit off topic, but does anyone have an idea, why
type(ExtraTreesRegressor().estimators_)
results in a list and
type(GradientBoostingRegressor().estimators_)
results in an np.array?

Anyway, here is the code:

import numpy as np
from sklearn import datasets
from sklearn.ensemble import GradientBoostingRegressor, ExtraTreesRegressor

boston = datasets.load_boston()
X, Y = (boston.data, boston.target)

n_estimators = 712
# Note: From 712 onwards, the feature importance sum is less than 1
params = {'n_estimators': n_estimators, 'max_depth': 6, 'learning_rate': 0.1}
clf = GradientBoostingRegressor(**params)
clf.fit(X, Y)

feature_importance_sum = np.sum(clf.feature_importances_)
print "At n_estimators = %i, feature importance sum = %.20f" % (n_estimators , feature_importance_sum)

n_estimators_forest = 100
clf_forest = ExtraTreesRegressor(n_estimators=n_estimators_forest)
clf_forest.fit(X, Y)

feature_importance_sum_forest = np.sum(clf_forest.feature_importances_)
forest_feat_imp = [np.sum(tree.feature_importances_) for tree in clf_forest.estimators_]
print "At n_estimators = %i, feature importance sum = %.20f" % (n_estimators_forest, feature_importance_sum_forest)
for idx, imp in enumerate(forest_feat_imp):
    print "imp for tree %i: %.20f" % (idx, imp)

I suppose in each tree there is a small rounding error, summing up to the overall error.
So is this a bug or an inevitable rounding issue?

Greets,
Piotr