[scikit-image] Community guidelines

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 27 16:42:07 EDT 2017

Hi, everyone

Thank you for your input, especially François and Matthew who took the
time to explain opposing views.  I feel one thing we have in this
community that is precious, and that we should work hard to keep, is
that we can have friendly conversations on controversial topics.
Part of the reason I have not endorsed any CoCs before (in as much as
my endorsement is worth anything), is that I was concerned about it
stifling this type of conversation (or slightly controversial ways of
expressing your opinion, such as in the SWC case Matthew referred to).
The SciPy CoC is the first document that strikes me as taking a big
step away from a policing focus, while still laying down the ground
rules of play.
For let's be clear: *any collaboration has rules, whether they are
explicit or not*; and I would rather have them be explicit.  We would
never before have tolerated treating newcomers poorly (you may, e.g.,
have noticed me apologizing to newcomers on GitHub before when I thought
comments were overly harsh), never mind much worse behavior such as
racism and sexism.  Putting that down on paper does not change the
status quo, but as mentioned by others acts as an agreement between all
of us to watch out for one another, and as a signal to new players as to
how we conduct our business.
François, I hear your concern about judging others.  And here, I am
afraid, we will need to trust in the members we appoint to the
committee; because in the end these issues can be subjective.  In fact,
I think we should appoint you to that group, if you are willing, to make
sure we don't step over any lines ;)
A final point: we do not need to accept the document in its current
form, or at all.  While I think it is a good idea to do that, especially
if we want to receive sprint funding from groups such as NumFOCUS, the
PSF, any of numerous foundations, etc., we are not under time pressure,
and can take time to carefully consider various concerns and objections.
Thank you for taking the time to engage in this conversation, and I look
forward to hearing any other opinions you all may have.
Best regards
Stéfan