Dropping support for 2.7 in 2020

Michael Sarahan msarahan at gmail.com
Fri May 20 10:29:51 EDT 2016

There is also Constructor, which helps you create your own miniconda-like
installers with only the packages you actually want:
https://github.com/conda/constructor

It may save you some steps with installing miniconda, then installing other
packages.

I don't think this is a concern for cython or scikit-image, but many people
at bumping into the language support limit in the C++11 sense with Python
2.7 on Windows.  Since VS 2008 is the de-facto standard compiler for Python
2.7, people are unable to use C++11 code in modules for Python 2.7.  Some
people use newer compilers anyway, which sometimes works, but is mixing
runtimes, and can lead to bugs or crashes.  Many people would like to
support Python 2.7 using a different compiler for the whole ecosystem.  One
example is Ilastik, by folks at HHMI, using VS 2012 to have a custom stack:
https://github.com/ilastik/ilastik-build-conda

Perhaps not central to this discussion, but something to be aware of.