Extracting data from an image of plots

Josh Warner silvertrumpet999 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 18:15:05 EST 2016

You may want to look into the work of Matt Terry (@mrterry) from SciPy 2013
and earlier. There are a number of tools he created, using what may now be
outdated matplotlib interfaces but which could save you time. One of which
is yoink (https://github.com/mrterry/yoink), which is particularly good
with rastered data behind a color map.

Using tools like Inkscape and/or the GIMP you should be able to crop any
arbitrary figure out of a scanned paper/image and transform it so it's at
least relatively rectilinear. Save that out as an image and these tools
start to be useful - though there may be some customization left to go
depending on what type of figure you're digitizing.

Matt gave a lightning talk at SciPy 2013 about
yoink: https://youtu.be/ywHqIEv3xXg?t=1890

Josh