GSoC: Rewriting scipy.ndimage in Cython

Jérôme Kieffer google at terre-adelie.org
Mon Mar 30 01:30:29 EDT 2015

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 07:04:10 -0700
Jaime Fernández del Río <jaime.frio at gmail.com> wrote:

> Similarly, you suggest using Cython's prange to parallelize computations. I
> haven't seen OpenMP used anywhere in NumPy or SciPy, and have the feeling
> that parallel implementations are left out on purpose. Am I right, or would
> parallelizing were possible be OK?

OpenMP is tricky under MacOSX: 10.7-10.9 had no support at all (they
use clang <3.6). Since 10.10, the support is incomplete, well at least
many code I tested fail with OpenMP (they run under linux and windows),
I noticed wrong results, not only failure to compile !

Of course on can install gcc or icc, but this is not in Python's philosophy

--
Jérôme Kieffer <google at terre-adelie.org>