Equivalent of watershed for cutting connected components of an image of particles?

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni.soma at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 22:51:30 EDT 2015

Hey Adam,

"Closing" is a dilation followed by an erosion. If you have "gaps" that are smaller than the footprint (aka structuring element) of the operation, they will be "closed". =) (e.g. a C turning into an O if the distance between the tips of the C is small enough.)

See a small example here:

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/jni/skimage-tutorials/blob/master/scipy-2014/solved/3_morphological_operations.ipynb

Though come to think of it we should change the shape to be a C rather than an O with a thin bit.

Juan.