peak_local_max() Question.

Claiborne Morton claiborne.morton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 14:15:49 EDT 2015

Hey guys,

     I am currently using this function for water-shedding in a project of
mine. I am a bit curious as to what the parameter, threshold_abs is
actually doing. The website
here: http://scikit-image.org/docs/dev/api/skimage.feature.html#skimage.feature.peak_local_max
says "Minimum intensity of peaks", but I am not sure how this applies to a
binary image where intensity of a pixel is either 1 or zero. When set the
parameter equal to an integer, say 12, it removes the smaller particles
from the image, which is nice because that is something I need to do, but I
am just not sure why it does this. Below is a comparison of the results
with and with out the parameter. Could someone please explain what is
happening?

Images are attached for:
      With threshold_abs = 12
      Without threshold_abs (I assume default is threshold_abs = zero?)