ANN: imageio v1.0

Almar Klein almar.klein at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 05:03:19 EST 2014

> What I'm looking for in an IO package
> is proper treatment of less-common data types that are nonetheless
> common in scientific imaging, such as uint16 and 3D tiffs. (Prior to
> Steven's PRs, skimage did a poor job with those.) Can you comment on that?

Imageio supports TIFF through the freeimage plugin, but this is more the
common kind of TIFF, and probably not sufficient for scientific TIFF
formats. It will need some testing to see what is supported and what not.

The best approach would probably be to refactor existing code that can
deal with such Tiffs into an imageio plugin. There's C. Gohlke's
tifffile, tiffany, pylibtif. I am not familiar enough with TIFF to say
which of these sufficiently covers scientists needs (if any). But if
either of them is good enough, it should be relatively easy to include
it in imageio.

- Almar