ANN: scikit-image 0.10.0

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 19:03:26 EDT 2014

On Monday, June 2, 2014 4:05:03 PM UTC-7, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 1:01 AM, Michael Aye <kmicha... at gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
> > I just went through a quite painful learning process with all this,
> because
> > the docs are quite scattered, with lots of old stuff mixed in. So I'd
> like
> > to comment, in case you don't insist on the Travis build machinery to be
> > MacPython (is that even possible, as Travis runs on Linux?), to speed
> things
> > up IMMENSELY over using pip for requirements install, one can use conda
> for
> > the env setup in Travis. It speeds things up, because pip doesn't store
> > binaries and instead spends a lot of time compiling things (or so it
> says
> > here: http://sburns.org/2014/03/28/faster-travis-builds.html). Find the
> > instructions on how to setup Travis with conda in that link, I tried it
> and
> > it works fine here.
> > I did one thing different compared to that blog entry though: In the
> travis
> > yaml I prefer to "script: python setup.py develop && python setup.py
> test",
> > because that way I don't get a useless test run in case the develop
> install
> > fails due to a bug.
>
> This works great--I've used that approach for our Windows buildbot too.
>
> On Linux, since we have apt-get, it's less of an issue, even though we
> currently build Matplotlib from source to get the latest version.

Some of us are building wheels for the travis linux machines too - see for
example:

https://github.com/matthew-brett/nipy/blob/12f96d576be0b7c841a65b095ae0b70a22b36d2b/.travis.yml#L20

That gives me the latest released version of matplotlib.  The wheels are
pretty easy to build too, just create a vagrant virtual machine, and you're
ready to go:

https://gist.github.com/matthew-brett/714b50bd3159d416981a

Cheers,

Matthew