SciPy 2014 Tutorial and Sprints

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni.soma at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 03:02:58 EDT 2014

Hi all!

I've added a few items to Tony's list:

=======

Add default structuring elements to morphology operations, and fall back on
scipy.ndimage when parameters don't fit our optimized functions based on
rank filters (2D images, bitdepth<12).

Distribute tifffile.py with scikit-image and make it the default for TIFF
files

Other IO improvements, such as reordering plugin preferences, issuing
warnings when certain plugins are used that rescale the image to float, etc.

Improve 3D support (a few attendees requested this and expressed interest
in helping with that)

=======

Additionally, as I mentioned at the end of my talk and to all who would
listen, I have no interest in locking myself in a basement for 8h while
it's a nice day out. (You might recall that I was just as adamant 2 years
ago, but back then I wasn't leading. =P) As such, I propose holding the
skimage in one of:

201 (an official sprinting room) *only* if the shades are opened
the tables outside of the Tejas dining room
Gabriel's bar, either inside or outside.

The last one is my preferred choice since we can also enjoy drinks while
sprinting!

Finally, depending on how things go, we may only sprint on skimage on
Friday so that we can mingle with the other teams on Saturday. But we'll
play this by ear.

Juan.

PS: Regarding the tutorials, I have been busy with my own talk and didn't
have a chance to upload my solutions. Will do those now.

PPS: I am also hereby proposing #skimage as the official hashtag of the
scikit-image library. =)