Google Summer of Code 2014

abid rahman abidrahman2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 23:15:25 EST 2014

Hi Stefan,

Here is *one link of patent application* I just found out (I am not sure if
it is proof for whether it is patented. I don't know much about patents,
but I think you will understand it) :
http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20090285482

Long back, I have seen a video its author presenting SWT in a conference,
and a question came from audiance about its source code, He replied "come
to Microsoft, you will get the code". "Otherwise?", "It is not upto me"

Please *watch last one minute of this video* :
http://videolectures.net/cvpr2010_epshtein_dtns/

Some two years back, when I first saw this paper, I had a plan to implement
it (and contribute to OpenCV actually). So while gathering more information
about this, I saw this video, and I assumed it is patented and OpenCV won't
take it. So left the plan there.

And I think that may be the reason *OpenCV went after another (newer - CVPR
2012) algorithm for same* :
http://cmp.felk.cvut.cz/~neumalu1/neumann-cvpr2012.pdf

Regards

Abid K.