GSoC 2014 (was: Contributing in Image Compression Algorithms)

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Thu Feb 6 05:27:26 EST 2014

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 11:48:15 +1100, Juan Nunez-Iglesias wrote:
> I'd be interested in mentoring, actually. But I only have vague ideas about
> what contributions we're looking for. As Josh said, compression itself
> would be more interesting to the scikit as a means to other ends, such as
> denoising.

Step 1: Apply as a mentoring organization before 14 February (I can help with
the documentation)
Step 2: If that fails, register under the umbrella of the PSF
Step 3: Solicit proposals from students (at that time, students should already
have become involved in the community and have made pull requests under
discussion)
Step 4: Choose one, maximum two excellent contributions.
Step 5: Spend about 5 hours a week for two months mentoring students.

The projects need to be large enough in scope to cover 2 months (a good
example would be Ankit's feature detectors) and make a significant and needed
contribution to the project.

An example of such a project for this year would be to implement a
registration submodule.

The reason I am hesitant to take on more than one candidate is that we are
still busy reviewing and refactoring Chintak and Marc's contributions from
last year (inpainting and graph cuts).

Regards
Stéfan