peak detectors

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 16:36:32 EST 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 8:39 PM, François Boulogne <fboulogne at sciunto.org>
wrote:

> Hi Emma,
> >       just a quick survey: which algorithms are you using for peak
> > detection (detection of local maxima in a grayscale image), and which
> > ones are you most satisfied of? We were wondering about the existence of
> > good peak detectors during the scikit-image sprint, following
> > difficulties with existing ones such as our feature.peak_local_max (see
> > for example the discussion in
> > https://github.com/scikit-image/scikit-image/pull/1248).
> >

> Something I had in mind at some point is a peak detection based on
> wavelets, but I did not find the time to finish that.
> In my notes, I have this repository
> https://github.com/johnmgregoire/PyWaveletPeakID which contains a code
> working with pywavelet and a link to the paper. They got nice results on
> a very noisy signal. Might not be universal, but useful for sure.
>
> As you may know, I worked a bit with Ralf (Ralf did more than I) to
> clean up pywavelet (mainly documentation, coding style, API). Ralf has a
> clone on his github page. Pywavelet is not maintained anymore by its
> original author. The next step is to integrate the code to scipy but we
> need to find somebody who wants to play with C-python bindings. (The
> last Gsoc project on that was not accepted). Definitely something that
> would be useful to scikit-image and probably many other users.

It's still on the todo list, but I kind of ran out of steam. After
https://github.com/rgommers/pywt/pull/55 goes in, it's pretty close to
being ready. The final issues to solve are all API-related (we only get one
chance to get those right). Those API issues wouldn't be a problem for
shipping a private copy in scikit-image though, so if you're comfortable
doing that then I'd say go for it.

Cheers,
Ralf