Get border pixels of labelled region

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni.soma at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 20:37:59 EDT 2013

Hi Payal,

I think we're getting somewhere. =) Thanks for the image.

Questions:
1) Are you looking to segment out different cars? That is, do you want each
car to have its own contour? With your current thresholding, you can see
that the four cars on the right are all connected, so you would get a
single contour of the whole blob, rather than a contour of each car.
2) I just saw the
doc<http://www.mathworks.com.au/help/images/ref/bwboundaries.html>for
bwboundaries. Do you want the interior holes of the objects to have
its
own contour, or do you want just a contour *around* each object and don't
care about the interior? Also, do you care about parent/child object
relationships? My guess is no to both these questions. For example, do you
want a contour around the windshield of each car?

Comments:

Note that when you do rgb2gray on a thresholded RGB image, you no longer
have a binary image, but a grayscale image with levels 0, 0.333, 0.667, and
1.0. I think you probably mean to do rgb2gray followed by threshold.

Either way, my suspicion is that you want to segment the cars first (get
one binary blob object per car), then find their contours. Am I right?

Juan.