Kakadu JP2000 reader

Michael Aye kmichael.aye at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 18:59:07 EDT 2013

Hi!
I was wondering if it would be possible to implement the Kakadu JP2000
reader into scikit-image? I believe but am not sure that the reader only
could be used without licensing fees? At least it's worth investigating
because that reader is really the most powerful JP2000 reader out there and
the only one that can deal with the large HiRISE images of the MRO
spacecraft.
Failing the above, a work-around could be to implement or encapsulate
system calls to the freely downloadable kdu-expand utilities, converting it
to something that is compatible with your current import routines?

Best regards,
Michael