Policy for import of submodules

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Wed Jan 30 01:51:08 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Juan Nunez-Iglesias <jni.soma at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok so I'm hearing consensus about what you guys want to do, which is great.
> For future reference though, is the intent that second-level packages do
> import everything underneath? Currently there don't appear to be more than
> two levels, but will that always be true?

Yes, we don't want to stack anything more deeply than that.  It really
is just a means of ensuring that you can import a selected portion of
scikit-image without waiting too long, or without loading unnecessary
dependencies (e.g., importing the io module will also import gstreamer
if available).  Also, in the most severe case where one sub-module
can't import, you can at least continue working with the rest.

Stéfan