Making algorithms at least 3D, preferably nD

Ankit Agrawal aaaagrawal at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 23:05:40 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 7:49 AM, Juan Nunez-Iglesias <jni.soma at gmail.com>wrote:

> In Marianne's case, there is a 3D volumetric image *in addition to* a
> time axis.
>
> Furthermore, if the time resolution in t is sufficient, many nD algorithms
> can be used, along t as well (with suitable parameters e.g. sigma for
> gaussian gradient magnitude). For an example, see:
>
> Andres, B., Kroeger, T., Briggman, K. L., Denk, W., Korogod, N., Knott,
> G., Koethe, U., and Hamprecht, F. A. (2012). Globally optimal
> closed-surface segmentation for connectomics. ECCV, 778–791.
>
> where they use a 3D segmentation method to do tracking in 2D+t video.

@Juan, this was an interesting read. I can feel why the 3D volumetric
algorithm fits 2D x t (video), because the task involved is segmentation
based tracking. However, I am still not fully convinced(would like to know
more such examples if any) and feel that most nD algorithms would work
differently on 2D x t and 3D. Thanks.

Regards,
Ankit Agrawal,
Communication and Signal Processing,