Making algorithms at least 3D, preferably nD

Josh Warner silvertrumpet999 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 20:29:51 EDT 2013

I would classify 1 and 3 as 2-D multichannel, with #2 a fuzzy area
depending on what meaning the other images in the series carry. If they are
spatially oriented as slices along a third dimension, that would be a
grayscale 3-D volume. If they're a stack of different filter types of the
same scene (think satellite photography or the Mars rovers) they would be
an abstraction of a 2-D multichannel. If it's a movie, that dimension would
represent time.

When we talk about n-D we are abstracting the number of dimensions to any
arbitrary integer n. This can be a somewhat difficult concept. As just one
example: in medical imaging we have 4-D and 5-D images where (x, y, z, t,
p) could be the dimensionality. In this case generally the first 3
dimensions are spatial, and the following two are time (t) and type of
imaging (p, for example CT registered with MR, or just various MR
sequences). Analyzing the prodigious amount of data from these scans is a
challenge.

There are many other examples of higher dimensionality data; perhaps
someone else can chime in with other examples.