scikit-image-example for all basic Morphological techniques

Tony Yu tsyu80 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 13:15:34 EDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 9:43 AM, Chintak Sheth <chintaksheth at gmail.com>wrote:

<snip>

I have included the documentation provided with functions, a sample code
> which shows how to implement the function (i.e. read the image, create a
> structuring element), show the ouput image vs the input image and some
> comments to give an intuitive feel for the function.
>
> Take a look and tell me if it serves the purpose. I hope this can further
> decrease the "familiarisation" time for skimage :)
> https://github.com/chintak/scikit-image-examples

Hi Chintak,

I only took a quick look at the notebook version of this example, but I
think something like this would be useful to a lot of users. Thanks for
posting!

If you'd be willing to take some time to clean it up and submit it as a PR
to the scikit-image documentation, I think it would be much more accessible
for new users. Here's an example of formatting required for our
documentation (specifically, interleaving code, text, and figures):

https://github.com/scikit-image/scikit-image/blob/master/doc/examples/applications/plot_rank_filters.py

and the resulting output

http://scikit-image.org/docs/dev/auto_examples/applications/plot_rank_filters.html

The version you have now looks pretty good, but I think it'd be best to
leave off the docstrings for the functions. In their place, you could put
the essential points from the docstring, plus what you have now as comments.

Also, you can import the phantom image as follows (instead of using your
local directory path):

from skimage import data_dir
image = io.imread(data_dir + "/phantom.png", as_grey=True)

Same for all the other images that you add to the data directory of
skimage. (I would probably leave off the first text image if you're only
using it for image display.)

Cheers,
-Tony