Best multispectral to RGB conversion

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Thu Mar 22 11:43:29 EDT 2012

Jean-Pat,

> To perform "perfect" spectral unmixing, I suppose it's necessary to know the integration time, the characteristic of the microscope bandpass filters, the emission spectrum of each fluorochrome; but would it be possible to make some kind of "estimated" unmixing from only the images themselves?

Wait, are you trying to perform spectral unmixing (5 channels -> 25 channels, one per chromosome), or false coloring (5 channels -> 3 channel RGB)? The first email made it sound like the latter, but this one seems more on the former...

If you want to do unmixing, there's a large literature about the MFISH case specifically, and I think there are some pretty well-known methods at this point. Presumably it would help to know the integration times and spectral characteristics of the instrument / fluorophores, especially given the table you appended to the second email about the spectral mixing issues.

False-coloring is an easier subject. You'd just need to choose "target" RGB colors for each of the 5 raw images, colorize each image by that color, and screen them together. Most of the art is in choosing good "target" colors. You could choose based on the original colors ("aqua" etc.), or choose equidistant points on the hue-circle (with equivalent saturation, and brightness determined by the original grayscale pixel intensity).

Zach