How to start contributing?

Chris Colbert sccolbert at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 09:50:54 EDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:42 PM, Dan Farmer <dfarmernv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've recently started using SciPy/NumPy for my computer vision research
> work and I wanted to get involved with scikits.image to help build a useful
> library and to learn more about NumPy and Cython programming. I looked at
> the tasks list and it seems there is a range of work from fairly simple
> integration work to some high-end plans (OpenCL backend, etc.). So I thought
> I might start with e.g., merging some of the Cell Profiler code, but then I
> saw that there are 24 forks of scikits.image on github and it's not clear to
> me what is already being worked on. So I thought I would just ask if someone
> could point me in the direction of some entry level work to do?
>
> Actually I just thought of something else, what is required to update the
> OpenCV bindings for OpenCV 2.2? I can't seem to use scikits.image at the
> moment because it can't find the opencv that it's looking for (the default
> Python bindings for 2.2 work, and native C++ code works too -- so it's
> definitely installed correctly).

Are you getting an error message printed to the console that says the opencv
libs can't be found? i.e.:

In [1]: from scikits.image import opencv
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/7.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/scikits/image/opencv/_libimport.py:55:
RuntimeWarning: The opencv libraries were not found.  Please ensure that
they are installed and available on the system path.
  'The opencv libraries were not found.  Please ensure that they '
*** Skipping import of OpenCV functions.

That line is just stating the libs can't be found and we probably need to
update the code which does the search for the libs.

On the other hand, I originally wrote the OpenCV bindings as a stop-gap
while we added functionality to the scikit (and because I wanted to see if I
could get opencv to share memory with numpy). Rather than continuing to
maintain the OpenCV wrappers, I would rather see effort focused on replacing
the functionality that's there with our own equally performant codes.

What is your Python and programming experience level in general? I can help
you find something appropriate to work on.