Greyscale reconstruction and merging CellProfiler code

Tony Yu tsyu80 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 21:30:45 EDT 2011

2011/7/7 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>

> Hi Tony
>
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Tony Yu <tsyu80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The addition was added over a series of commits with only minor changes
> > the original CellProfiler code (except for one large, unused chunk of
> code
> > that I deleted). That brings me to my question: what are the suggested
> > changes when merging CellProfiler code? Is it as simple as putting the
> > chunks of code in the right place (i.e. putting the code in the correct
> > module(s) and adding the tests)? There's a number of things that could be
> > added/changed, but I'm uncertain about how much *needs* to be done in
> order
> > to be "acceptable" for addition into the scikit.
>
> There are some differences in our documentation and styles.  For
> example, I like for the contributors.txt file to be updated, and for
> the docs to be in the numpy docs format and highly descriptive.  In
> this example, I cannot figure out what the function is meant to do, so
> based on that I would be hesitant to commit.  Maybe add a longer
> description, as well as a few references.  Also, an update to the docs
> would be welcome, illustrating its use (this could also be done under
> Examples in the docstring).

I added a reference and tried to expand on the description, but the
description is still poor. Even in the papers I've read, the descriptions
are quite difficult for me to understand (the figures in those papers really
help). I've also added an example to the docstring, but it's quite ...
verbose<https://github.com/tonysyu/scikits.image/commit/c122b1dbba5d88db8cecd4fe0ce404d83410a6a3>
.

I'd like to add a longer example in the docs, but that will have to wait
until I have a bit more time. When I do add it, where should put it? I'd
like for it to be more like a tutorial than a function-specific example
(specifically, I'd like to compare reconstruction and top-hat for peak
detection).

Best,
-Tony