Build requirements

Chris Colbert sccolbert at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 20:58:04 EST 2009

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the report.

Can you paste the error you are getting so I know exactly what
decorator it is concering?, there may be a way to change it to work
with Python 2.5

There is some overlap between scipy.ndimage and the OpenCV stuff. But
realize, the OpenCV in the scikit are just wrappers for the OpenCV
libraries, of which you need at least version 2.0 (there were some
backwards incompatible changes made in 2.0). That said, my personal
experience is that OpenCV is much faster than the routines in ndimage.
I have timed the OpenCV 2D convlution at 100x - 1000x faster than
ndimage.

OpenCV is not a HARD requirement for the scikit. You can still install
it and use everything else without having the opencv libs on your
machine, but if and when you add them, the wrappers will "just work",
you wont need to rebuild the scikit.

Cheers!

Chris