[sapug] Straw poll, of sorts.

Daryl Tester dt-sapug at handcraftedcomputers.com.au
Tue Mar 3 01:22:20 CET 2009

I'm just about to start writing myself a C extension module, and as I
was pondering how far to make it backward compatible the following
thought sprung to mind.  What's the oldest and newest version of
Python you currently write code for [1]?

I still have a fairly sizeable system that's running on Python 1.5.2
(it's slooowly being migrated across on a break/fix basis, which is the
only time the customer pays, but alas it rarely breaks), but most of the
stuff I do these days is based around 2.5.x (various flavours of .2 to
.4) as py2exe doesn't cope well with 2.6.  I've done little under 2.6
(certainly nothing that would specifically use any of its features), and
apart from library changes (e.g. MIMEWriter's severe makeover) I tend to
code in a subset of Python that will allow me to run on a fairly wide
range of versions (although not as far back as 1.5.2, I have to remember
how to convert between "idioms" like list comprehensions).

So what's your version range?

1 - this won't effect my decision, it's just something I'm idly
curious about.  However, I probably won't code the extension as
a type for that reason as I know the extension types have changed
between major versions.

--
Regards,
  Daryl Tester

"Must have scripting experience; Pearl, Shell, Python, VBScript, Born,
 Corn, Awk, Sed" -- Unix job advertisement.