[sapug] Plethora of jobs on SEEK for Python programmers in Adelaide.

stephen white steve at adam.com.au
Fri Mar 7 11:11:32 CET 2008

On 07/03/2008, at 12:16 PM, Chris Foote wrote:
> - Dynamic languages aren't popular.
>
> - The popular dynamic languages have an interpreter implementation
> that
>    doesn't lend itself to hiding proprietary code from prying eyes.

Or:

- Dynamic languages suck for scaling up to real projects, even though
they're great for small scale RAD exploring.

Even I would hesitate before using Ruby or Python on a company web
site, because I wouldn't have the DHH option of saying "Fuck You"...

> I believe, if I could point at one thing it’s the following
> statement on 2007-01-20 to me by David H. creator of Rails:
>
> (15:11:12) DHH: before fastthread we had _400 restarts/day
> (15:11:22) DHH: now we have perhaps 10
> (15:11:29) Zed S.: oh nice
> (15:11:33) Zed S.: and that's still fastcgi right?
> Notice how it took me a few seconds to reply. This one single
> statement basically means that we all got duped. The main Rails
> application that DHH created required restarting _400 times/day.
> That’s a production application that can’t stay up for more than 4
> minutes on average.
>
> Let me put this into perspective for you: I’ve ran servers that
> needed to be restarted once in a year. They were written in PHP,
> Python, Java, C, C++, you name it. Hell, I’ve got this blog on a
> server I’ve restarted maybe 10-20 times the whole year.
>
> Now, DHH tells me that he’s got 400 restarts a mother fucking day.
> That’s 1 restart about ever 4 minutes bitches. These restarts went
> away after I exposed bugs in the GC and Threads which Mentalguy
> fixed with fastthread (like a Ninja, Mentalguy is awesome).
>
> If anyone had known Rails was that unstable they would have laughed
> in his face. Think about it further, this means that the creator of
> Rails in his flagship products could not keep them running for
> longer than 4 minutes on average.

	http://www.zedshaw.com/rants/rails_is_a_ghetto.html

all of it equally applicable to Python in different ways.

Steve.

PS. He says smugly, having moved onto something even more obscure and
non-mainstream. :)

   steve at adam.com.au