[sapug] Erlang, the movie.

Chris Foote chris at inetd.com.au
Tue Oct 3 06:26:39 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, stephen white wrote:

> Erlang, Dylan and OCaml are on my "interesting languages" list, but I
> never seem to get around to them as I can do everything I want with
> my current software stack of Objective C and Smalltalk on Cocoa
> within a single run-time.
>
> 	http://www.fscript.org/documentation/index.htm
>
> I would be interested in replacing Smalltalk with Ruby, but am not
> willing to give up the interactivity of a single runtime and
> automatically picking up Objective C objects. I should make a movie
> and post it up...

That would be good - it looks interesting.   It's a shame that
it's Mac specific though :-(

>> The second point is why I'm so keen to stick a REPL interpreter
>> into some of the applications I've been working on, and Python's
>
> An interpreter in an interpreter? How about dropping back a level and
> writing the interpreter that should have been done, therefore making
> Python obsolete? :)

There's no reason why you can't byte-compile something so that it's
not interpreted.  e.g.:

>>> code = compile('n + 1', '', 'single')
>>> code
<code object ? at 0xb7eb49e0, file "", line 1>
>>> def add1(n):
...     exec code
>>> add1(2)
3