[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app and pyinstaller on Big Sur

Paul Fishback fishback.paul at gmail.com
Thu May 20 09:26:52 EDT 2021

Hello,

I'm using Python 3.9 on a Mac running Big Sur and have encountered problems
converting GUIs into Mac apps. I'm concerned that the problems may arise
from Big Sur itself.

*Pyinstaller*: I posted a problem I ran into at
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/67593376/pyinstaller-tkinter-script-works-fine-but-wont-execute-properly-as-app-or-uni?noredirect=1#comment119476414_67593376.
In essence, I created my .app, which did not function on Big Sur but did
when someone else ran it on linux.

*py2app: * Problem I encountered is posted at
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/67611680/problem-with-py2app-when-figurecanvastkagg-is-used-in-script?noredirect=1#comment119507494_67611680.
Essentially, I can get py2app to work fine with a tkinter GUI that
utilizes matplotlib, unless I need to import FigureCanvassTkAgg from
matplotlib.backends.backend_tkagg. This problem could be more likely due to
an incomplete understanding of how to incorporate options with py2app.

Thanks

PaulF.