[Pythonmac-SIG] "pythonw" in a Unix build

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Jan 19 03:30:48 EST 2021

> On 18 Jan 2021, at 18:38, Christopher Barker <pythonchb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 1:34 AM Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com <mailto:ronaldoussoren at mac.com>> wrote:
> As mentioned on python-dev adding the “pythonw” functionality to the unix build is not very hard. I expect that integrating with the build system (Makefile/configure script) will be the hardest part due to introducing different behaviour for the macOS platform.
>
> Thanks Ronald, that confirms my suspicions that this is really an autoconf issue. Which makes it an utter mystery to me :-(

Most of the relevant build machinery is in the Makefile. And looking at this there’s already precedent for checking for macOS there, “python-config” is a shell script on all platforms except macOS, and the makefile fragment for building it checks if we’re on macOS without using autoconf.

>> And we already have a work around in the core python code, it's just that the build system needs to be set up to build it outside of a Framework.
> The framework build does not have a workaround for these problems, it has a proper solution ;-).
>
> Glad to hear that -- in earlier conversations, I got the impression that you thought the executable wrapper was kind of a hack :-).

In the end it is a workaround for a platform feature that’s causing problems, but Python.app in the framework build is a proper app bundle.  Using a shell script for the same functionality is a hack (he says without having looked at that script) ;-)

> Anyway -- if any of you have autoconf expertise and the inclination, I'd love to see this get done, and would be glad to help as best I can.
>
> -CHB
>
> --
> Christopher Barker, PhD (Chris)
>
> Python Language Consulting