[Pythonmac-SIG] Building plans .....

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Mar 12 16:57:32 EDT 2020

> On 11 Mar 2020, at 22:34, Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl> wrote:

[…]

> - I _think_ that the restriction that a GUI program must be in an App bundle no longer holds, or at least there are ways around it. There are all sorts of programs installed with brew that present a GUI without being in an app bundle. I’m looking at realsense-viewer right now, as an example, and it’s a normal executable in /usr/local/Cellar/librealsense/2.22.0/bin/realsense-viewer with a symlink in /usr/local/bin.

I’m not sure the limitation is really gone, I still see issues with a number of Cocoa APIs when run from a virtualenv environment, which doesn’t use the Python.app trick, while the same API works with a venv environement (which does use the Python.app trick). One example is <https://github.com/ronaldoussoren/pyobjc/issues/239 <https://github.com/ronaldoussoren/pyobjc/issues/239>>.

There is a private API that makes it possible to use GUI libraries outside of an app bundle and that’s used by a number of projects, but I wouldn’t want to use that in Python.

Ronald
—

Twitter: @ronaldoussoren
Blog: https://blog.ronaldoussoren.net/ <https://blog.ronaldoussoren.net/>