[Pythonmac-SIG] Building plans .....

Christopher Barker pythonchb at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 12:26:22 EDT 2020

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 11:48 PM Just van Rossum <justvanrossum at gmail.com>
wrote:

> FWIW, as far as I can tell, a non-framework-build can't be used to build a
> native macos app, at least not with py2app.

I'm pretty sure it can. We've moved to PyInstaller, which does work, and
I'm'pretty sure that py2app can work with conda's non-Framework build.

and it's on conda-forge, so presumably it's worked for at least one person
:-)

https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/py2app

I do recall some issues a while back that have presumably been resolved.

> I ran into this while trying to build an app on github-actions, and had to
> resort to downloading and installing Python from python.org upon build.
> Which is wasteful, and in my eyes completely unnecessary.
>
> https://github.com/actions/setup-python/issues/58
>
> I'm sad to learn conda does the same as it renders its Python completely
> useless for my work.

Actually, perhaps conda would work for you :-) I'm not clear on what gitHub
actions allows, but you can certainly use conda on, e.g. TravisCI with
OS-X. I've only used it to run tests, but I can't see why you couldn't
build a app that way.

By the way, it's great to "see" all you from back in the day -- this has
been a very quiet list lately!

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, PhD