[Pythonmac-SIG] Building plans .....

David Brooks dave at bcs.co.nz
Wed Mar 11 20:58:06 EDT 2020

On 12/03/20 1:11 pm, Christopher Barker wrote:
> >> The problem is that I *really* don't have the autoconf skills to do
> that!
>

>>     But I'm hoping with some prodding and show of support, someone
>>     with take it on :-)
>
>     I won’t, finding time to work on Python is hard enough and I’d
>     rather not spent that time on fighting the build system ;-).
>

> I understand, not sure anyone like to fight with build systems :-(

There is a CMake way to build Python
<https://github.com/python-cmake-buildsystem/python-cmake-buildsystem>,
used to embed Python into other CMake based applications. The main pain
in maintaining it is having to work out what has changed in CPython's
autoconf build when there is a new Python release. Python 3.7 can be
built (see PRs 257 and 264); Python 3.8 is still WIP; we won't look at
3.9 until it after it has been released...

What would be really, really nice is for CPython itself to switch to
CMake -- what is needed to make this happen??

Thanks,

David Brooks
Auckland Bioengineering Institute