[Pythonmac-SIG] Prevent python install editing .bash_profile

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Thu Feb 2 09:43:52 EST 2017

> On 31 Jan 2017, at 21:19, Barry Scott <barry at barrys-emacs.org> wrote:
>

>> On 31 Jan 2017, at 21:08, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On 28 Jan 2017, at 17:42, Barry Scott <barry at barrys-emacs.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is it possible to prevent the editing of the shell profile when I install a python kit?
>>>
>>> I keep having to delete the, unnecessary for me, PATH editing.
>>
>> The installer has an option for not updating the shell profile: after the “select a destination” screen you can choose “customize”, on that screen unselect “shell profile updater”.
>
> O.k. I will use that when I update again.

Given that /usr/local/bin is on the PATH (as it is in /etc/paths) and the installer links python pip etc into /usr/local/bin
why does it need to edit my .bash_profile at all with the long /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/bin/python3.6
paths.

Is this a hang over from older macOS versions?

Barry