[Pythonmac-SIG] [Pyobjc-dev] PyObjC and macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Oct 12 16:15:13 EDT 2016

> On 12 Oct 2016, at 08:08, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 11, 2016, at 2:26 PM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com <mailto:ronaldoussoren at mac.com>> wrote:
>>
>> BTW. Has anyone experience with using LLDB on Sierra? I’m currently running Sierra in a VM and for some reason LLDB doesn’t appear to work, in an SSH session I cannot start programs at all and on the console a crashing bug in the interpreter exists the interpreter instead of breaking into the debugger. That’s rather annoying when you’re trying to a debug a crash on 10.12 that doesn’t happen on 10.11.
>
> Ever since the introduction of SIP, system-level debugging tools like LLDB have worked very poorly for me, even on self-built executables.  I don't see a difference in its behavior on 10.11 vs. 10.12 though.  I can run it on `curl` from Homebrew, but not `python`; my guess being that Python is trying to dlopen() some SIP-protected thing whereas `curl` is loading only things from Homebrew?
>
> If it's a VM, then system integrity is less of a concern; have you tried just blanket disabling SIP to see if that improves the situation?  I've had some luck with other tools (dtrace, mostly) working in that configuration.  (I had to totally disable SIP though, disabling one flag at a time didn't work.)

I haven’t had problems with SIP on 10.11. This also doesn’t seem to be a SIP issue, I got the same behavior after disabling SIP.

I did manage to debug on the VM’s console by explicitly running the Python interpreter inside the framework (Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python) instead of the launcher in {sys.prefix}/bin.  This doesn’t work in an SSH session though. That’s a bit annoying, but is workable until I get around to installing sierra on my main machine.

Ronald

P.S. I’m debugging using a Python.org <http://python.org/> install of python3.5, not using the /System installation of Python2.7. Using the latter is asking for problems when working on a package that Apple also ships.