[Pythonmac-SIG] [Pyobjc-dev] PyObjC and macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Oct 11 17:26:13 EDT 2016

> On 17 Sep 2016, at 19:59, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

>>> Hah!  Thanks for sharing.  Very satisfying to actually make a *correct*
>>> prediction about setuptools' behavior :)
>>
>> This seems to be Apple's doing.  AFAICT, 10.12 is shipping with this
>> Extras.pth file in /Library/Python/2.7; it's something new.  And,
>> unfortunately, due to https://bugs.python.org/issue4865, the
>> site-packages directory for the system Python 2.7 is included in
>> sys.path along with the non-system framework Python site-packages.
>
> Hrm.  I guess everyone I knew on the beta was using homebrew python :(.
>
> I'm surprised that Apple is putting stuff in /Library.  I don't have a Sierra box handy - /Library isn't SIP-protected now, is it?
>
> This seems wrong; someone should file a radar (and probably share on http://www.openradar.me <http://www.openradar.me/> for further discussion).

Did someone file a radar for this? Otherwise I can do so.

I can affirm that Extras.pth is now in /Library/Python/2.7 instead of in a system location. This sucks as bits of the system install now infect other installs of Python 2.7. One more reason to stop using 2.7 I guess ;-)

BTW. Has anyone experience with using LLDB on Sierra? I’m currently running Sierra in a VM and for some reason LLDB doesn’t appear to work, in an SSH session I cannot start programs at all and on the console a crashing bug in the interpreter exists the interpreter instead of breaking into the debugger. That’s rather annoying when you’re trying to a debug a crash on 10.12 that doesn’t happen on 10.11.

Ronald