[Pythonmac-SIG] PyObjC 3.2 released

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Dec 6 14:30:01 EST 2016

> On Dec 6, 2016, at 10:36 AM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
>

>> On 6 Dec 2016, at 19:19, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Dec 6, 2016, at 8:59 AM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I’ve pushed PyObjC 3.2 to PyPI (finally…). The major new feature in this version is support for OSX 10.12 (Sierra) and the new APIs introduced in this version of OSX.
>>
>> 🎉😃🎉
>>
>>> There is also a backward incompatible change: the default method signature is calculated differently than before. This will primarily affect code that adds python-only method to a class, like so:
>>>
>>> class MyObject (NSObject):
>>>      def amethod(self, a, b): pass
>>
>> Huh, I didn't even realize that was possible before.  Hopefully none of my code will be affected as a result :-).
>
> It wasn’t really documented, but I wouldn’t be surprised if someone relies on the previous behavior…
>

>> Is there any chance that now this release is done, wheel builds might be on the horizon? :)
>
> Maybe.  The important bit w.r.t. wheel builds is that they must be automated, otherwise releases take too much time and I end up not doing releases at all.  That said, automating this shouldn’t be too hard and should be able to save me some time in the end (I currently also test manually…)

If manual source releasing is `python setup.py sdist && twine upload dist/*`, then "manual" wheel releasing is `python setup.py sdist bdist_wheel && twine upload dist/*`.  It doesn't seem like that should be a crushing maintenance burden :-).

Although perhaps there's something I'm missing?  The subtleties of binary compatibility often escape me.

-glyph