[Pythonmac-SIG] What does it take to run a GUI app?

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Sat Aug 23 03:31:19 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Aaron Meurer <aaron.meurer at continuum.io>
wrote:

> It does cause problems. I'm not entirely clear what happens with
> nested shebang lines, but you can't put
>
> #!/Users/aaronmeurer/anaconda/bin/pythonw
>
> as your shebang. If you do, it will try to run the script in bash. It has
> to be
>
> #!/bin/bash /Users/aaronmeurer/anaconda/bin/pythonw

OK, then this is broken anyway for scripts that need a GUI and want to use
a #! line to start.....so another solution really would be good.

> A (possibly weak) argument for not wanting to do a full framework
> build is that it would break backwards compatibility with file
> locations (possibly weak because the right symlinks might make
> everything work).  I believe the real reason is that it's (as far as
> we can tell) unnecessary complexity, especially given that the fake
> app bundle seems to work just as well.

for this, perhaps. But it's not all all complex, and might actually solve
antoher problem (OK, my other problem) of keeping the python libs separated
from all the other Anaconda libs...

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov