[Pythonmac-SIG] Advice wanted on dependency building...

Samuel John python at samueljohn.de
Thu May 23 09:45:14 CEST 2013

Hi,

I am from the homebrew team and passionate python lover. I can almost feel
your pain :-)

Some things install nice with pip, but others don't. That is why I started
to maintain a separate "tap" for additional homebrew python  formulae like
pillow, numpy, scipy, matplotlib, pygame ... (one can get these with `brew
tap samueljohn/python` but in the future I want to move them to
homebrew/science or so). These formulae re-use and depend on other software
built with homebrew (for example suite-sparse from homebrew/science,
libpng).
See https://github.com/samueljohn/homebrew-python if you like.

With our recent kickstarter supported Mac Minis, we plan to build and
provide binary "bottles" for all our packages.
Perhaps that is a good starting point? Basically one could make an
installer that takes one or more bottles and installes them. Perhaps even
automate to create these installers. Perhaps it's possible to transform our
bottles into the wheel format (I have not looked into that).

Homebrew works bests if installed at `/usr/local` because of the paths to
other libs. Often rpath is enough to change that but some software has
other means to "remember" and hard-code paths, so in general, we build the
bottles in /usr/local and deploy them there, too.

I'd love to team up and join forces.

I am currently making Python 2.x and 3.x support in homebrew possible and
simplifying how to install python software that provides a setup.py.

bests,
 Samuel