[Pythonmac-SIG] Problem installing pyobjc

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Jul 31 00:15:55 CEST 2013

On 31 Jul, 2013, at 0:13, Nicholas Cole <nicholas.cole at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
>
> On 30 Jul, 2013, at 21:28, Nicholas Cole <nicholas.cole at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'll have to do some more debugging to find out what's going wrong here.
> >
> > Could you share some more information about your setup:
> >
> > * What is the version of OSX?
> >
> > * How was python installed, using an installer on www.python.org or through some other method?
> >
> > * Which version of Xcode is on the machine?
> >
> > BTW. I just tried installing pyobjc in a virtualenv on a 10.8 machine with the latest Xcode 4 and that worked without problems.
> >
> > OK. I've updated python to the latest production version of 2.7.5 using the installer provided by python.org.
> >
> > I'm running the latest version of Xcode, on OS X 10.8.4.
> >
> > All of the errors persist.
>
> Odd. One thing you could check: are the Xcode command-line tools installed and up-to-date (you can check this in the preference window of Xcode, on the Downloads tab)
>

> You were spot on.  The command line tools needed updating. Sorry about that.  It didn't even occur to me to check.  Thank you.

Great to hear that that was the problem. That's something to include in the installation instructions, and with some luck I'll be able to reproduce this in a VM as that would make it possible to tweak the setup.py script to give a nice error message instead of the rather unhelpfull one you got.

Ronald