[Pythonmac-SIG] Problem installing pyobjc

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Jul 30 17:02:02 CEST 2013

On 30 Jul, 2013, at 15:46, Nicholas Cole <nicholas.cole at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
>

> > Oops, it looks like the source archive is not complete.  The workaround is to first install setuptools, does "python -c 'import setuptools'" work?

The missing file tries to download setuptools when it is not yet on the user's machine. The next major version of PyObjC will just refuse to install with a nice error message when setuptools is not available.

> It didn't and then I updated setuptools.
>
> However the build still fails with:
>
> copying PyObjCTest/test_weakref.py -> build/lib.macosx-10.6-intel-2.7/PyObjCTest
> running build_ext
> error: No such file or directory

I'll have to do some more debugging to find out what's going wrong here.

Could you share some more information about your setup:

* What is the version of OSX?

* How was python installed, using an installer on www.python.org or through some other method?

* Which version of Xcode is on the machine?

BTW. I just tried installing pyobjc in a virtualenv on a 10.8 machine with the latest Xcode 4 and that worked without problems.

Ronald