[Pythonmac-SIG] Problem installing pyobjc

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Jul 30 15:38:21 CEST 2013

On 30 Jul, 2013, at 15:09, Nicholas Cole <nicholas.cole at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I am having trouble installing pyobjc.  I've tried three things:
>
> # python --version
> Python 2.7.3rc1

Not that it is related to your problem, but why do you use an old prerelease version of python? The current release is 2.7.5.

> 1. # easy_install --upgrade pyobjc
> Searching for pyobjc
> Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/pyobjc/
> Best match: pyobjc 2.5.1
> Processing pyobjc-2.5.1-py2.7.egg
> pyobjc 2.5.1 is already the active version in easy-install.pth
>
> Using /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pyobjc-2.5.1-py2.7.egg
> Processing dependencies for pyobjc
> Searching for pyobjc-framework-Social==2.5.1
> Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/pyobjc-framework-Social/
> Best match: pyobjc-framework-Social 2.5.1
> Downloading https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/p/pyobjc-framework-Social/pyobjc-framework-Social-2.5.1.tar.gz#md5=1aadaa6d45cfced5d9f243b7d153a2eb
> Processing pyobjc-framework-Social-2.5.1.tar.gz
> Running pyobjc-framework-Social-2.5.1/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-8vFDCw/pyobjc-framework-Social-2.5.1/egg-dist-tmp-XU0icN
> error: Installed distribution pyobjc-core 2.3.2a0 conflicts with requirement pyobjc-core>=2.5.1

That's an annoying problem with easy_install and pip, both install packages in the wrong order. I'll probably end up providing wheels (binary packages) for the next release to make it easier to install.

> 2.  I've tried updating the core first:
> # easy_install --upgrade pyobjc-core
> Searching for pyobjc-core
> Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/pyobjc-core/
> Best match: pyobjc-core 2.5.1
> Downloading https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/p/pyobjc-core/pyobjc-core-2.5.1.tar.gz#md5=931c6cfb040df0d7e26c0898886380cf
> Processing pyobjc-core-2.5.1.tar.gz
> Running pyobjc-core-2.5.1/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-ySjK__/pyobjc-core-2.5.1/egg-dist-tmp-OSgoci
> warning: no directories found matching 'Scripts'
> warning: no directories found matching 'setup-lib'
> warning: no directories found matching 'source-deps'
> warning: no previously-included files matching '.DS_Store' found anywhere in distribution
> warning: no previously-included files matching '*.pyc' found anywhere in distribution
> warning: no previously-included files matching '*.so' found anywhere in distribution
> error: Setup script exited with error: No such file or directory
>
> 3. So then I tried installing pyobjc-core manually:
>
> # python setup.py install
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 32, in <module>
>     import distribute_setup
> ImportError: No module named distribute_setup
> bash-3.2#

Oops, it looks like the source archive is not complete.  The workaround is to first install setuptools, does "python -c 'import setuptools'" work?

Ronald