[Pythonmac-SIG] Fwd: Can any cross platform gui framework limitations be filled with ctypes / pyobjc or other?

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 10 17:57:13 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 2:35 AM, Paul Wiseman <poalman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've used wxpython a lot in the past, and maintain some code that uses it
> and I do like it, there are a couple of bits that have put me off though.
> There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to implement an MVC type pattern
> with it.

I"
ve always felt that:

1) slavishly following MVC is pretty pointless

2) to the extent you do follow it, it's very application-specific, so
I"ve never quite understood what an out-of-the-box MVC framework would
look like.

3) You can certainly do it with wx.

> I haven't used Qt much at all yet but QML looks extremely
> interesting and pretty powerful.

there is the XRC format, but when looking at it, it looks like it jsut
 makes things more complicated -- decoupling strictly GUI code and
belongs-with-the-GUI code seems pointless to me. And I really like
code-generated GUI layout. I suspect that that approach makes much
more sense with C++ than Python.

> This signal and slots in qt reminds me a
> lot of the outlet actions in the iOS world as well which helps a lot at
> keeping everything de-coupled.

I haven't used signals and slots, but I agree that wx events are bit
stifling. A number of folks recommend pubsub for a more de-coupled
approach.

> I've found an awful lot of bugs with wx over
> the time I've been using it as well which has put me off somewhat, but
> that's probably true for a lot of systems/frameworks of that size that you
> get very familiar with and use a lot.

Well, wx definately doesn't get as much attention on the Mac -- I've
seen more issues there. Maybe QT gets more love -- what with KDE and
all, it probably has a significantly larger user/developer base.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov