[Pythonmac-SIG] Re-linking app with system Tk frameworks

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Mon Jan 28 14:26:09 CET 2013

Hi,

To deploy my Tkinter app to the Mac App Store, it has to be linked
against the system Tcl/Tk frameworks because Tk uses internal/private
API calls. (You can't submit an app that makes such calls directly, but
apparently system-installed libraries are exempt.) My last build of
Python linked against /System/Library/Tcl.framework and friends, but a
more recent build I'm using links against
/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework et al.

Is there an install_name_tool trick I can run with py2app to make sure
my deployed Tkinter app links against the system framework rather than
my own installation in /Library/Frameworks? I don't want to have to
rebuild Python to achieve this effect, but my previous experience with
py2app suggests that it's the only way to make sure py2app doesn't
vaccum up the /Library/Framework bits.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer