[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app unable to find cprocessors.so

Paul Wiseman poalman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 21:15:19 CEST 2012

On 14 September 2012 11:35, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:

> On 14 Sep, 2012, at 12:26, Paul Wiseman <poalman at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ah, yea I am indeed using the VERSIONER variable, I got myself confused
> because I was checking this,
> >
> > pauls-mac-pro:Python paul$ type python
> > python is hashed
> (/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python)
> > paul$ file /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python
> > /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python: Mach-O
> universal binary with 1 architecture
> > /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python (for
> architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386
> >
> > which I don't quite understand, but.
> >
> > paul$ file $(whereis python)
> > /usr/bin/python: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures
> > /usr/bin/python (for architecture x86_64):    Mach-O 64-bit executable
> x86_64
> > /usr/bin/python (for architecture i386):      Mach-O executable i386
> > /usr/bin/python (for architecture ppc7400):   Mach-O executable ppc
> >
> > would explain it, although I'm a little confused which python I'm
> actually running when I type python, I guess it must be the later (which is
> /usr/bin/python)
>
> You could try: python -c 'import sys; print(sys.executable)'
>

> > By the way, thank you all so much for your help with this!! I think I'm
> getting pretty close now I think :)
> >
> > So the final question (hopefully ;) ) is how can I use the later python
> (I want i386 and ppc support, so don't want to use the former) but default
> it to not use x86_64?
>
> I don't have support for selecting a different bootstrap executable right
> now.
>
> A crude hack: look for the installed py2app package, and in particular the
> directory "py2app/apptemplate/prebuilt". Then copy "main-fat" to
> "main-3way".  This replaces the executable that py2app puts into the
> application bundle by a version that only supports the PPC and i386
> architectures.
>
> A slightly less hack way: the lipo command-line tool can be used to strip
> architectures from a binary, you could run that after running py2app.
>
> Ronald

Ah that's pretty cool- will be worth remembering. I was just being stupid
though, I just downloaded python for i386/ppc from python.org. I thought I
already had that one but I must have had the other x86_64/i386 one. Whoops.

All is working perfectly now :D - Thank you so much again for all your help
and work on the project!