[Pythonmac-SIG] (re)newbie py2app question

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Mar 8 01:59:48 CET 2012

On 4 Mar, 2012, at 12:18, Charles Hartman wrote:

> I'm just coming back to programming after years, trying to recompile an old program that works but needs updating and expansion.  I'm now on OS 10.6.8, Python 2.7.2, with wxPython (64/32bit).    My newly installed py2app is: py2app-0.6.4-py2.7.egg.  All of these were in earlier versions when I last packaged the program with py2app.
>
> In Console, the errors seem to be of two kinds.  There's a long list of ScriptingAdditions messages about missing architectures.  Before that, there's this:
> [0x0-0x1bcfbce].org.pythonmac.unspecified.PyProse[87375]	NameError: global name 'self' is not defined
>
> That seems to be in a module of the program that certainly did work before.  I can debug the program in WingIDE, I get no problems or errors (except maybe the ScriptingAdditions ones) when I run it there.
>
> Have I forgotten something simple?  Has something changed that I missed?

You could try to run the application from Terminal.app, for an app named Foo.app you'd run /path/to/Foo.app/Contents/MacOS/Foo (where /path/to is the directory containing Foo.app). That way errors get printed to the Terminal window instead of in the console log, that way you should be able to see more information and probably also a Python traceback for the NameError, which will hopefully help in locating the source of the problem.

Ronald