[Pythonmac-SIG] Bundling zmq with py2app

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Jul 16 23:06:23 CEST 2012

On 16 jul. 2012, at 22:55, Thomas Robitaille <thomas.robitaille at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ronald,
>
>> Which zmq module? There are at least 2 different 0MQ bindings on PyPI.
>
> I'm using pyzmq.
>
>> If I install 'pyzmq' I get a different error than you, the libzmq.dylib was not present
>> when I started the binary.  A quick fix is to change  'includes' to 'packages' in
>> the OPTIONS dictionary.
>
> This works, thanks! What exactly is the difference between 'includes'
> and 'packages'?

Includes tells py2app that a module should be included, as if there is an import statement for that module. Packages tells py2app to include an entire package, and to not include it in the zip file.

"includes" should only be necessary to specify dependencies that cannot be found by looking for import statements, for example for modules that are imported from C code.

Ronald