[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app not including /Library/Python/2.6/site-packages

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 26 00:56:06 CET 2011

On 1/24/11 10:57 PM, michael ferraro wrote:
> I should clarify-  My apps are used in intense live animation production applications.
>
> Having an app the runs like an app, can be executed from the dock and in all
> aspects seems like a real Mac- app, for me, makes it possible to experiment with
> new  models of media production. This is  my stock-and-trade.

yep -- it really nice if you use the GUI for other parts of your process.

> Adding insult to injury, I am constantly in development. So ... I am never ready to commit
> (no pun intended). I need to fix things at a crucial moment. I need to add a  featur
>   that no one anticipated.  I can't be rigid and orthodox here
>
> py2app is 99.9 percent exactly what I need.  It it excellent and has been a terrific
> help to me a and to the the community.  I just got lost and frustrated in the
> morass of development.

I use it that way too. I have a few apps that are under constant
development (some mine, and the Peppy editor). I use Py2app to build an
Alias bundle, and then I have an app that looks, feels and acts like an
app, but actually runs the development code and my Python install. I
can't give it to anyone else, but I can set up others with a similar
python install and set them up the same way.

> Using Apple's installed python means one less install and, one less opportunity
> for problem.

I'd think that what you are trying to do should work. And if you can
figure it out what went wrong, please report here.

> It is probably shortsighted.  Given everything, installing a python.org
> version of python might make things more consistent and easier.

I think so -- and yes, it's one more install, but it's a pretty darn
easy one.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov